Then said these men, We shall not find any occasion against this Daniel, except we find it against him concerning the law of his God.
I. HIS CHARACTER.
1. His consistent integrity. For this we have the evidence of his enemies.
2. His habitual piety.
(1) His habits of prayer.
(2) His praying looking toward Jerusalem.
3. Daniel's special confidence in God. Not professed with his lips, but calmly and touchingly exhibited in his actions.
II. GOD'S MYSTERIOUS DEALINGS WITH HIM.
1. They were deeply mysterious. God permits his enemies to succeed. So God often deals with the world; in his Church; with individual Christians; and with his own son he did so deal.
2. See Daniel delivered and God's dealings explained. Consider the effects of this deliverance on Daniel; on the King; on the enemies of God; on the people and cause of God. Apt representation of God's universal providence — all things shall terminate as He wills, and shall glorify Him-in the world at large; in the Church. Individuals continually perceive the blessed results of their afflictions, trials, darkness, and fears. How truly this was shown in the Son of God, need hardly be observed. Let the timid, the undecided, or the inconsistent, go and study the character of Daniel. Let them confess their faith as he did.
(F. Close, M.A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then said these men, We shall not find any occasion against this Daniel, except we find it against him concerning the law of his God.