I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, said the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
Contemplate God our Saviour —
I. As HE WAS.
1. He was — in the bosom of the Father from all eternity.
2. He was — a little helpless babe, born in a stable, cradled in a manger.
3. He was — "a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief."
4. He was — a sacrifice for sin.
5. He was — again on earth forty days (Acts 1:3).
II. HE IS — HIS PRESENT STATE AND CIRCUMSTANCES.
1. He is — glorified.
2. He is — the head of His Church.
3. He is — preparing a place for us.
4. He is — in a state of expectation.
III. HE IS TO COME.
1. His second advent is as certain as His first, and depends upon it.
2. He is to come — suddenly and unexpectedly.
3. He is to come — with power and great glory.
4. He is to come — for the final consummation of all things.
Parallel VersesKJV: I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.