And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, see, the heavens were opened to him…
I. THE THREE PERSONS IN THE HOLY TRINITY.
1. Jesus of .Nazareth.
2. The Holy Ghost miraculously exhibited.
3. The Holy Father.
II. A VIVID REPRESENTATION OF GOSPEL SALVATION.
1. Here was salvation embodied in Jesus Christ.
2. The Holy Ghost falls on Him.
3. The Holy Father's solemn attestation of the sufficiency of Christ and His salvation.
III. THE PRIVILEGE OF BELIEVERS HERE CONFIRMED IN THE PERSON OF JESUS CHRIST.
1. We view Him as our Federal Head and Representative.
2. In this capacity He received the Holy Ghost.
3. In this character the Father delighted in Him, and also in His people.
(1) What a practical view of the doctrine of the Holy Trinity.
(2) Have we a personal interest in this great work?
(3) Let the power of these truths be seen in our lives.
(F. Close, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: