I will set no wicked thing before my eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not stick to me.
I. WE CANNOT HELP SEEING WICKED THINGS, BUT WE ARE NOT TO SET THEM BEFORE OUR EYES. That is:
1. He will not think of them. They may be where he cannot but see them; but he will turn away his eyes from them, and his thoughts likewise.
2. He will not sympathize with or desire them. They have a fatal attraction, and appeal to our nature where it is most susceptible of temptation.
3. He will not strive after them. However gainful they may be, their wickedness shall bar all endeavours after them.
II. WE ARE TO HATE THEM. There is to be, not the mere negative grace of not choosing them - that is much - but there is to be the further positive grace of hatred towards them. Now, to help us herein, think of:
1. The harm wickedness has done to men generally. What havoc it has wrought, and is working still! Could the world be but rid of its sin, its sorrows would not trouble us much.
2. The harm wrought in your own soul.
3. The dishonour done to Christ.
4. And let your hatred of wickedness take practical form. Attack the fortress of sin, fight against it wherever you find it, make aggressive effort against it and for the cause of Christ. So will this hatred blessedly grow.
III. WHEN WICKEDNESS SEEKS, AS IT WILL, TO CLEAVE UNTO US, WE ARE TO CAST IT OFF.
1. See how our Lord did this. "Get thee behind me, Satan!" Sin will try to adhere to you; but spurn it at once.
2. Consider how to do this. Prayer will greatly help; for sin is its direct antagonist. One must destroy the other. They cannot coexist. Plead and trust the promises of God to help you. Avoid the occasions of sin. Carry the war into the enemy's country; not merely resist, but attack. Military writers all insist on the advantage against a foe of attacking, not waiting to be attacked. And, without doubt, aggressive work for Christ, a fighting faith, is an immense advantage and safeguard. - S.C.
Parallel VersesKJV: I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.