2 Kings 2:14
And he took the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and smote the waters, and said, Where is the LORD God of Elijah?…
Elisha caught the mantle of Elijah, whose marvellous translation to heaven he witnessed. Smiting the waters of Jordan, as his master and predecessor had done, with the same mantle, Elisha cried, "Where is the Lord God of Elijah?" Elijah had gone. Had God also gone? The parted river proved that Elijah's God was with Elisha.
I. ELIJAH'S GOD. To see what kind of a God Elijah served, glance at some of the leading events in the prophet's life. Dense darkness hangs over Israel (1 Kings 16.), idolatry being rampant. Elijah's challenge to Ahab (1 Kings 18.). The prophet's threat of famine fulfilled. God's care over him by the brook Cherith. The unfailing oil and meal at Zarephath. The widow's son restored to life. The contest on Carmel. The God that answereth by fire. It seems as if God puts Himself into Elijah's hands, and the prophet receives whatever he asks for — a famine, or fire, or life for the dead, or the restoration of a nation to God. Why did God so honour Elijah? Because Elijah honoured God.
II. GOD'S ELIJAH. Do we want Elijah's God? If so, we must be like Elijah. Notice the prophet's —
1. Boldness. He was not afraid to stand alone.
2. Intense earnestness. His supreme desire was the salvation of Israel.
3. Earnest prayer. "He prayed earnestly."
4. Strong faith. He relied absolutely upon God — before Ahab, by the brook, on Carmel, etc.
5. Purity. His character would bear the test of God's searching eye. As the Lord God liveth, before whom I stand.
6. Obedience. He obeyed God implicitly.
7. Constant communion with God. The Lord was his chief companion.
8. Power, with God and with men. Do we want character. The Almighty is always on the side of His Elijahs.
Parallel VersesKJV: And he took the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and smote the waters, and said, Where is the LORD God of Elijah? and when he also had smitten the waters, they parted hither and thither: and Elisha went over.
WEB: He took the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and struck the waters, and said, "Where is Yahweh, the God of Elijah?" When he also had struck the waters, they were divided here and there; and Elisha went over.