Not every one that said to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven…
Let us observe the kingdom of God in the light of this text.
1. It is a kingdom of fruit, not of thorns, not of leaves.
2. We see that the faith which is so essential to it is an active grace. The proof of sincerity is doing. It is not a mere emotion destitute of energy.
3. That every one that cometh into it must do God's will. Active trust not enough; it must be in the proper direction. The world is a great law-keeper. Even Christ did the will of His Father.Learn:
1. That active obeying the will of God is the decisive test of being in the kingdom of God.
2. That it is one thing to hear and another to do the will of God.
3. Nor is confidence sufficient. The Pharisees were sure that they were on the rock.
(T. L. Cuyler, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.