And now men see not the bright light which is in the clouds: but the wind passes, and cleans them.
1. We live on the unilluminated side of the cloud between God's throne and His earthly children, and only needful rays shine through; and yet the rays are quite sufficient for your guidance and for mine. We have quite sufficient truth shining through the cloud for us to walk in the paths of obedience, waiting for the time when we shall get above the cloud, and behind the cloud, into the overwhelming brightness that plays forever round the throne.
2. The infinite light behind the throne is infinite love. That cloud is light and love, and every ray that streams through to us is a love ray from the infinite, the abounding and inexhaustible love in the eternal Godhead. God governs the world by most beautiful laws of compensation. Suffering has many compensations, not only in its influence upon the sufferer, in humbling him, bringing him into a sense of dependence, inspiring in him a spirit of prayer, quickening his faith, and working out the principles of righteousness, but suffering hath its happy influence upon others.
3. The future will clear up many a mystery. By-and-by shall come the last great day of revelation, when nothing that is right shall be found to have been vanquished, and nothing that is wrong shall be found to have triumphed. Learn —
(1) God is often inscrutable, but never wrong.
(2) On this side the cloud we have nothing to do but to receive the truth that comes through, and walk by it.
(3) Never get frightened at God's clouds.
(4) Clouds of trial often rain down truth to be gathered from no other source.God usually orders it that through penitence come praise and forgiveness, through trial comes triumph; yea, the cloud itself sends down mercy.
(T. L. Cuyler, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And now men see not the bright light which is in the clouds: but the wind passeth, and cleanseth them.