That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;…
I. TO WHAT PERIOD DOES THE ASSERTION REFER.
1. Not the present, which would not be the fact, and besides the text is a prophecy. Many objects are now worshipped: riches, pleasure, etc.
2. At the judgment, when every usurper will be dethroned, and every rebel crushed.
II. THE PERSONS ALLUDED TO.
1. His willing and devoted servants.
2. Others will bow unwillingly.
III. THE CONSEQUENCES OF THIS EVENT. Jesus will reign with undisputed sway.
1. Sin will be banished from His dominions.
2. There will be no more contention.
3. There will be no more weakness or sorrow.
4. There will be no more fear of death.
(W. H. Davison.)
Parallel VersesKJV: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;