To whom also he showed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days…
1. To Mary Magdalene (Mark 16.; John 20.)
2. To the women who had first visited the sepulchre, by whom the disciples were summoned to meet Christ in Galilee (Matthew 28:1-10).
3. To Peter (Luke 24:33-35; 1 Corinthians 15:5).
4. To Cleophas and another on the way to Emmaus (Mark 16:12; Luke 24:13-32).
5. To the eleven in the absence of Thomas, at Jerusalem (Luke 24:36-43; John 20:19-25).
6. "Eight days afterwards" to the disciples, Thomas being present (Mark 16:14; John 20:26-29; 1 Corinthians 15:6).
7. To certain of the disciples when fishing on the lake of Galilee (John 21:1-24).
8. To James (1 Corinthians 15:7).
9. To the apostles, and probably the whole body of disciples on a certain mountain in Galilee (1 Corinthians 15:6).
10. On the morning of the ascension (Luke 24:43-51, and text). Speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.
I. OF THE CHURCH MILITANT — the kingdom of God on earth.
1. Its governance.
2. The means of its extension.
II. OF THE CHURCH TRIUMPHANT — the kingdom of God in heaven.
1. Its glories.
2. Themeans of obtaining them.
(W. Denton, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God: