And saying, Sirs, why do you these things? We also are men of like passions with you…
I. THE REFRESHING COMMUNICATION — "Rain from heaven."
1. Its celestial origin. Neither rain nor that which it illustrates is a creature of man or nature. Spiritual influences come direct from God.
2. Its Divine manifestations.
3. Its connection with other gifts. The work of the Spirit must never be dissociated from that of Christ. In the spiritual world "the Sun of Righteousness" is as needful as the outpouring of the Spirit.
II. THE FERTILITY EFFECTED.
1. The seasons — private and public. There are spring, summer, autumn, winter for the soul; seed time and harvest. Each is as needful in grace as in nature.
2. Their fruitfulness. A fruitful season is beautiful and useful. The Christian is to grow in grace and utility.
III. THE RESULT EXPERIENCED — "filling our hearts."
1. The sphere — "the heart." Religion is experimental. When refreshing seasons come they are felt.
2. The action — "filling," not leaving the heart half empty.
3. The contents — "food and gladness."
IV. THE WITNESS OF ALL THIS TO GOD — to His wisdom, power, love, etc.
(R. G. Dillon, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And saying, Sirs, why do ye these things? We also are men of like passions with you, and preach unto you that ye should turn from these vanities unto the living God, which made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all things that are therein:
WEB: "Men, why are you doing these things? We also are men of like passions with you, and bring you good news, that you should turn from these vain things to the living God, who made the sky and the earth and the sea, and all that is in them;