1 Peter 1:10-12
Of which salvation the prophets have inquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come to you:…
I. THE PARTY OF EXPLORERS.
1. Who they were — "the prophets."
2. Divinely commissioned. "The Lord of Hosts hath spoken it."
3. Divinely guided. "What manner of time the Spirit of Christ, which was in them, did signify."
II. THE GROUND EXPLORED. "Salvation."
1. The limits of the field. "So great salvation." "Eternal salvation."
2. The nature and object of their labours. "Who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you."
III. THE SPIRIT IN WHICH THE EXPLORATION WAS CONDUCTED.
1. A longing to discover salvation.
2. Mental activity. "Searched," etc.
3. The work was continuous. "Diligently."
4. Scrutiny. "Searching what, and what manner of time," etc.
IV. THE MERITORIOUS CENTRE OF THIS EXPLORED SALVATION. "The sufferings of Christ."
1. It centres itself in a person.
2. In a Divine person.
3. In a suffering person.
V. THEIR EXPLORATIONS CARRIED THE PROPHETS TO THE GRAND REWARD OF CHRIST'S SUFFERINGS. "And the glory that should follow."
Parallel VersesKJV: Of which salvation the prophets have inquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: