And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things said the Amen, the faithful and true witness…
I. THIS CHURCH WAS LUKEWARM IN THE TEMPERATURE OF ITS SPIRITUAL LIFE.
1. The language of this verse aptly describes the religious state of many Churches now.
(1) A lukewarm Church is unique in the world. In every sphere of life, save the moral, men are red hot.
(2) A lukewarm Church is useless in the world. It cannot make any progress against a vigilant devil and a wicked world.
(3) A lukewarm Church is an anomaly in the world. The Church is destined to represent on earth the most energetic and spiritual ministries which exist in the unseen universe.
(4) A lukewarm Church has much tending to awaken it. It should be awakened by a study of the lives of the Old and New Testament saints, by the earnest life of Christ, by the great need of the world, by the transitoriness of life, and by the quickening influences of the Divine Spirit.
2. That this lukewarm Church was abhorrent to the Divine Being. It is better to be a sinner than a merely nominal Christian; because the latter brings a greater reproach upon the name of Christ; because the latter is in the greater peril; and because hypocrisy is a greater sin than profanity.
II. THIS LUKEWARM CHURCH, SADLY DECEIVED, WAS WISELY COUNSELLED AS TO THE REAL CONDITION OF ITS SPIRITUAL LIFE.
1. Sad deception.
(1) The members of this Church imagined that they were rich and had need of nothing.
(2) The members of this Church imagined that they were prosperous.
(3) The members of this Church imagined that they had attained all possible excellence.
2. Wise counsel.
(1) This Church was advised to get true wealth.
(2) This Church was advised to get renewed purity.
(3) This Church was advised to get clear vision.
(4) This Church was advised to get Christly merchandise.
3. Disguised love. All the Divine rebukes are for the moral good of souls, and should lead to repentance and zeal.
III. THIS CHURCH WAS URGENTLY ENCOURAGED TO AMEND ITS MORAL CONDITION AND TO ENTER UPON A ZEALOUS LIFE. The advice of Christ is always encouraging. He will help the most degraded Church into a new life. Lessons:
1. That a lukewarm Church is abhorrent to the Divine mind.
2. That Christ gives wise counsel to proud souls.
3. That the most valuable things of life are to be had from Christ without money and without price.
4. Are we possessed of this gold, raiment, eyesalve?
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;