And the LORD said to Moses and to Aaron, Take to you handfuls of ashes of the furnace…
I. THAT THERE IS MUCH PHYSICAL SUFFERING BROUGHT UPON MEN BY SIN AND DISOBEDIENCE. Moral considerations are at the basis of health. The body is influenced by the moods of the soul. Piety is restorative. It gives eternal life.
II. THAT THE PHYSICAL SUFFERING CONSEQUENT UPON SIN COMES UPON MEN INDEPENDENT OF THEIR SOCIAL POSITION OR OF THEIR SCIENTIFIC ATTAINMENTS. The king, the magicians, and all the people of Egypt were smitten by the pestilence. None were exempt.
1. Hence we see that social position does not exempt men from the physical suffering consequent upon sin.
2. Hence we see that scientific attainment does not exempt men from the physical suffering consequent upon sin. The boils were upon the magicians.
III. THAT THE PHYSICAL SUFFERING CONSEQUENT UPON SIN DOES NOT ALWAYS LEAD TO MORAL REFORMATION. Lessons:
1. That God permits suffering to come upon wicked men to reprove and correct their moral character.
2. That the laws of physical manhood are in harmony with true well-being of the soul.
3. That pain should lead us to review the meaning of our lives.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the LORD said unto Moses and unto Aaron, Take to you handfuls of ashes of the furnace, and let Moses sprinkle it toward the heaven in the sight of Pharaoh.