And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand on me, saying to me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:
I. THE TIMES WHEN THE SOUL GETS ITS BRIGHTEST VISION OF CHRIST.
1. In times of persecution and loneliness.
2. In the communion of the Lord's day.
3. Upon the threshold of important duty.
II. SOMETIMES THESE VISIONS HAVE AN APPALLING EFFECT UPON THE SOUL.
1. There is in this terror of the soul an element of deep humility and reverence.
2. This terror of the soul is not overcome by the most intimate friendship with Christ.
III. IN THESE VISIONS THE GOOD ARE CONSOLED AND STRENGTHENED BY THE MERCIFUL CONDESCENSION OF CHRIST.
1. There was the strengthening assurance of a kindly action, "And He laid His right hand upon me."
2. There was the encouraging utterance of a compassionate word, "Fear not."Lessons:
1. Soul-visions are Divinely given to the good.
2. Soul-visions are not always at first welcome to the good.
3. That the compassion of Christ renders soul-visions the chief joy of the Christian life.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: