And in the middle of the seven candlesticks one like to the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot…
I. THAT THE SON OF MAN, WHO WAS ON THE EARTH, IS THE WORLD'S HIGH PRIEST.
1. The apostle saw the ascended Saviour as the High Priest of men.
2. The apostle saw in the High Priest of men the tokens of His human Incarnation.
II. THAT CHRIST IS FROM THE GREAT ETERNITY. "His head and His hairs were white like wool, as white as snow."
1. As from the great Eternity, Christ can give men counsel.
2. As from the great Eternity, Christ should win the reverence of men.
3. As from the great Eternity, Christ is the pattern of men.
III. THAT CHRIST IS MOST PENETRATING IN HIS SCRUTINY. "And His eyes were as a flame of fire."
1. That Christ is most penetrating in His scrutiny of the creed, conduct, and activity of His Church.
2. He scrutinises with terrible wrath the conduct of the enemies of His Church.
IV. THAT CHRIST IS MOST UNWEARIED IS HIS PURPOSES. "And His feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace."
1. Christ is unwearied in His purpose of love toward His Church and Gospel.
2. Christ is unwearied in His purpose of moral retribution toward the enemies of His Church.
V. THAT CHRIST IS MOST SUBLIME AND EFFECTIVE IN HIS UTTERANCES. "His voice as the sound of many waters." "Out of His mouth went a two-edged sword."
1. The voice of Christ is majestic. It is as the resounding of many waters.
2. The voice of Christ is diffusive. The sound of many waters can be heard at a great distance, in almost any direction.
3. The voice of Christ is piercing. It is like a two-edged sword.
VI. THAT CHRIST IS SUPREME IN HIS BENEFICENT GLORY. "And His countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength."
1. Because of the glorious majesty that is in Him.
2. Because of the influence He exerts upon growth.
3. Because of the joy He inspires.Lessons:
1. That Christ is the hope of His Church in time of persecution.
2. That soul-visions are given to men at times of holy communion with God.
3. That the world has a Divine High Priest.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.