Write the things which you have seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;…
I. THAT ALL CHRISTIAN CHURCHES OUGHT TO BE PRESIDED OVER BY COMPETENT AND DULY-QUALIFIED PASTORS.
1. That all Christian Churches should be presided over by a recognised pastor.
2. That the pastor is the head and representative of the Church to which he belongs.
3. That the pastor exercises a great moral influence upon the Church with which he is connected.
II. THAT ALL CHRISTIAN CHURCHES ARE UNDER THE PERSONAL SCRUTINY OF CHRIST.
1. Christ knows the Church. This thought should solemnise our Church life, and make it reverent in its disposition of soul.
2. Christ rules the Church. His rulership is for the moral welfare and defence of the Church, and should be obediently acknowledged.
3. Christ passes judgment on the Church. He passes judgment on the works, the patience, the suffering, the discipline, the creed, and the enthusiasm of the Church, and condemns or approves accordingly.
III. THAT ALL CHRISTIAN CHURCHES ARE ENGAGED IN SPIRITUAL CONFLICT.
IV. THAT ALL CHRISTIAN CHURCHES SHOULD BE SENSITIVE TO THE REVELATION OF THE DIVINE SPIRIT. Lessons: —
1. That the ministerial office has the sanction of Heaven.
2. That Churches should be careful in the selection of their pastor.
3. That Churches should seek to cultivate a pure and fervent spiritual life.
(J. S. Exell, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;