And it came to pass in Iconium, that they went both together into the synagogue of the Jews, and so spoke…
I. THERE IS A MODE OF PREACHING THE GOSPEL WHICH IS ADAPTED TO SECURE THE FAITH OF HEARERS. The gospel itself is adapted to beget cordial faith and repentance in men. For evidence of this, I would call your attention to the fact that the Holy Spirit employs the gospel for this very purpose.
II. TO POINT OUT SOME OF THE THINGS WHICH ARE ESSENTIAL TO SUCH A MODE OF PREACHING THE GOSPEL. I would remark that to secure a manner of preaching the gospel adapted to success, it seems essential —
1. That it should be preached with a heart deeply intent on the very design of securing the cordial faith and obedience of hearers. Cicero has justly remarked, that if the feelings with which you represent a fact and the fact itself do not accord, you have not in reality presented the truth, but have misrepresented it to the minds of your hearers.
2. That it should be preached as a system of consistent truths, bearing with one harmonious design on the great object of repentance and salvation.
3. That it should be preached in a way of application to the hearers, so as to call for the decision of their hearts at the time.From this subject I remark —
1. The dependence of preachers of the gospel on the cooperating power of the Holy Spirit to give success to their labours, is of all reasons the weightiest why they should speak in a manner adapted to beget repentance and faith in their hearers.
2. We may learn what are some of the important qualifications for a skilful and successful handling of the Word of life.
(E. T. Fitch, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it came to pass in Iconium, that they went both together into the synagogue of the Jews, and so spake, that a great multitude both of the Jews and also of the Greeks believed.