And he looked up, and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury.…
1. It is necessary and scriptural that there be public voluntary contributions for pious and charitable purposes.
2. Both the rich and the poor should contribute to pious and charitable purposes, and that according to their respective ability.
3. It concerns us all to see that our contributions be such, in respect of the principles and motives from which they flow, as will meet with the Divine approbation.
4. Be exhorted to cast liberally into the offerings of God, by the encouraging considerations which are placed before you in His Word.
(1) Remember that the eye of the Lord Jesus Christ is upon you.
(2) Remember, again, the considerations connected with the amazing kindness of your God and Saviour to you.
(3) Be exhorted, once more, to give liberally, by the consideration of the promise of an abundant recompense, both in this world and in the world to come.
(James Foote, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he looked up, and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury.