With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men:…
I. It is in its nature HONOURABLE.
1. As to what he opposes. Sin. Satan. Sinners, He.
2. As to what he aims at. God's glory. The salvation of souls.
3. As to the parties that are with him. God. Angels. Saints.
II. It is very MYSTERIOUS. As -
1. The principal agents in it are invisible.
2. None see or understand it but by experience.
3. His enemies eventually promote his victory. Job. Paul. "But I would ye should understand, brethren," etc. (Philippians 1:12).
4. Its weapons can be used by thousands at once.
5. He dies to conquer and be crowned.
III. It is the most IMPORTANT.
1. Whether Christ or Satan be superior.
2. Whether he shall be saved or lost.
IV. His armour is COMPLETE.
V. His enemies are condemned, and virtually CONQUERED.
(H. J. Foster.)
Parallel VersesKJV: With good will doing service, as to the Lord, and not to men: