I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ…
I. THE LORD'S DAY. All days are His, but this belongs to Him by special right.
1. It is the memorial of His resurrection.
2. It eternises the sabbatic ideal. A day of fulfilment, completion, and rest.
3. It is the earnest of the ultimate enfranchisement of the race. A day of enlarged liberty and not of more stringent bondage.
II. THE SPIRIT'S DAY.
1. It "takes of the things of Christ" and shows them unto us.
2. The entire being is uplifted and transformed. Inspiration is no fruitless ecstacy, no mere festival of the emotions; it is full of practical impulse, intellectual enlightenment, and moral purification.
3. Only "in the Spirit" can the Lord's Day, especially the great Easter Day, be fully and profitably observed.
(St. J. A. Frere, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.