1 Corinthians 12:1-31
Now concerning spiritual gifts, brothers, I would not have you ignorant.…
I. THE DISTRIBUTION OF SPIRITUAL GIFTS.
1. The distribution is as varied as that of bodily and earthly gifts.
(1) One penetrates into the depths of the wisdom of God in nature, history, human life, and in the plan of salvation.
(2) Another communicates the sum of human knowledge in books or by speech.
(3) To another there is given a special spiritual power which is able to sustain him under the most trying circumstances.
(4) Or there are gifts of miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, tongues. Our own time is not wanting in spiritual gifts. Think of the spirit of investigation, and of the multitude of singers, preachers, leaders, and praying men. No village is too small in which may not be found a trace of spiritual gifts.
2. There are gifts enough, but no one person possesses them all. Hence all man-worship is entirely out of place. No self-exaltation is permissible. Every one has his limitations, which he cannot transcend without paying the penalty. And hence all discontent at our time and art is also out of order.
3. Every one has some kind of a gift. Often there creeps over us a feeling of gloom in view of more glorious gifts and greater successes on the part of others. But in God's sight humility and fidelity are of more avail than glory and splendour. Employ, then, thine own gifts without envy and without hindrance. He that cannot construct a magnificent park can plant roses in his little family garden.
II. THE RIGHT USE OF SPIRITUAL GIFTS.
1. "There are diversities of gifts," but what is the Spirit whence they come and which they serve? The greater the gifts the greater the responsibility; a Saul becomes a Paul, but how many have reversed this course!
2. "There are differences of administrations."
3. There are diversities of operations.
4. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
(K. Gerok, D.D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.