And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest.…
I. THE DISPUTE AROSE —
1. Out of ignorance as to the nature of the kingdom of Christ.
2. Out of the worldly ambition of their own hearts.
II. THE LORD REBUKED THIS SPIRIT OF WORLDLY AMBITION. By drawing their attention to His own example. Application:
1. Show the widespread prevalence of this worldly ambition in the Church.
2. Urge lowliness of mind.
(1) By the strong commendation Christ bestows on it.
(2) By the injury done to the cause of Christ, when His followers manifest the opposite spirit.
(F. F. Goe, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest.