And he said to them, When you pray, say, Our Father which are in heaven, Hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done…
We ought to frame our prayers according to that we hear, see, or otherwise know of any. As —
1. If any especial blessing be bestowed on any, to pray that it may be continued and increased.
2. If any mischievous plots be practised against any, to pray that they may be prevented.
3. If ministers or other members of any Churches be surprised, to pray that they may be delivered.
4. If persecution be raised against any Church, to pray that either that fire may be quenched, or else that sufficient courage and strength may be given to such as are persecuted to hold out, and endure the uttermost trial.
5. If any noisome weeds of idolatry, heresy, schism, or the like, sprout up in any Church, to pray that they may be rooted out. To sharpen our prayer herein, we ought oft to call to mind that which in this case is promised by Christ, "Every plant which My heavenly Father hath not planted shall be rooted up." This is that true use which we are to make of the knowledge that we have of the estate of any of God's Churches.
Parallel VersesKJV: And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.