Why, holy brothers, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;
I. THE GENERAL FUNCTION OF CHRIST, as a Prophet, Apostle, and Minister of the Word of God, was to make known the will of the Father unto His people.
II. HIS SPECIAL CALL to that function was immediate from the Father. Christ thus saith of Himself (John 20:21). Oft does Christ make mention of this that His Father sent Him. Where Christ saith to the Jews (John 5:37; John 6:46; John 1:18).
III. THE PRIVILEGES which belonged to an apostolical function, and in a most eminent manner appertained unto Christ, were these.
1. Christ laid the foundation, for He first preached the gospel (Genesis 3:15). Yea, Christ Himself was the very foundation (1 Corinthians 3:11). He is also the chief corner-stone (Ephesians 2:20).
2. The whole world was Christ's jurisdiction. No limits were set to His function (Psalm 2:8; Ephesians 2:17).
3. He had His gifts immediately by the Spirit (Isaiah 11:2; Luke 2:20).
4. He received the Spirit more abundantly than any other (John 3:34; Colossians 2:3, 9; John 1:16).
5. He could not but have infallible assistance in that He was the very truth itself (John 14:16; Luke 4:18).
6. He also must needs have power of giving gifts, in that He was the prime Author of all gifts (Ephesians 4:7; John 20:22).
7. About miracles He had mote power than ever any other.
8. Vengeance especially belongeth unto Christ (Romans 12:19). When the apostle delivered the incestuous person over to Satan, he did it in the name and with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 5:4).
Parallel VersesKJV: Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;