And he said to them, When you pray, say, Our Father which are in heaven, Hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done…
What are failings against the direction which we ought to bewail? An evil manner of performing good things; as when they are performed.
1. Hypocritically, in show and appearance only, and not in truth.
2. Partially, or by halves; so far as seemeth good to ourselves, but no further.
3. Grudgingly, as if it were done more by compulsion then by any free disposition of will.
4. Negligently, and carelessly, without heed-taking, or such respect as beseemeth so weighty a matter.
5. Lukewarmly, without any fervour of affections.
6. Inconstantly, as if we repented of that good we had done, and thereupon refuse to hold on therein.
Parallel VersesKJV: And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.