And the same day, when the even was come, he said to them, Let us pass over to the other side.…
I. THE INFLUENCE OF DANGER. it caused the disciples to doubt the care of Christ. Why is it we doubt the Lord in seasons of danger?
1. Imperfect knowledge of the Lord.
2. Natural impatience.
3. Satanic temptations.
II. THE FOLLY OF SUSPICION. It is groundless. The truth is ratified, that God will not leave us to perish. Were it not stated in such plain terms, we might infer as much from —
1. God's former dealings with ourselves and others.
2. The known character of the Lord.
3. The relationship in which we stand to Him.
III. THE SECRET OF TRANQUILITY.
IV. THE BLESSEDNESS OF HOLY CONFIDENCE.
1. It honours God.
2. It blesses our own souls afterward.If the record had run thus, "And there arose a great storm, etc., but the disciples, believing their Master would not suffer them to perish, watched Him until He awoke. And when Jesus arose, He said, Great is your faith; and He saved them," what joy would the memory have brought to their hearts in later years!
3. Hereby we obtain more speedy relief. Unbelief causes God to delay or deny (Matthew 13:58).
(R. A. Griffin.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the same day, when the even was come, he saith unto them, Let us pass over unto the other side.