And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.
I. THE NECESSITY FOR THESE STRONG EXERTIONS arises from the immense difficulties in the way: —
1. The world, as comprehending both objects of attention and objects of attachment.
2. The devil and his angels.
3. The flesh with all its passions and lusts.
4. The difficulty of dissolving long-connected associations, of breaking up long-established habits, and of issuing forth into new courses of action.
II. THE NATURE OF THE VIOLENCE INTENDED.
1. It must be accompanied with supreme desire, and with corresponding earnestness and diligence.
2. It must be accompanied with true repentance.
3. It must be marked with submission.
4. You must offer the prayer of the destitute.Apply:
1. To those who are opposed to any great earnestness or any uncommon movement in religion.
2. To awakened sinners.
3. Where will the prayerless sinner appear?
(E. Griffin, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.