I will mention the loving kindnesses of the LORD, and the praises of the LORD, according to all that the LORD has bestowed on us…
To discover the heights or to fathom the depths of this grace, exceeds the power of men or angels; yet the view perhaps may be enlightened by some of the following reflections.
1. In purposing and planning the grit work of redemption, the Eternal Mind was self-moved, uncounselled, unsolicited.
2. This love was wholly disinterested, having no-reward in view but the pleasure of doing good.
3. This love is still more sublimely considered as acting towards inferiors.
4. Redeeming love is still more wonderful as exercised towards enemies.
5. This love appears altogether astonishing when we consider the greatness of the sacrifice it made.
6. The extent of redeeming love further appears in the magnitude of the blessings which it intended for a ruined race.
7. This mercy is heightened by the fact that the Saviour is so necessary, reasonable and all-sufficient.
8. This mercy is still further heightened by the patience and condescending tenderness which He exercises towards His people. He calls them His friends, His brethren, His children, His spouse, the members of His body, the apple of His eye.
9. This wondrous mercy is further expressed in the gift of Sabbaths and sacraments, and especially the written Word.
10. Fresh evidence of this love springs up at every review of God's past providence towards the Church.
11. All these are the more affecting as being marks of distinguishing love.
12. The grace of God appears still greater as being abundant.
Parallel VersesKJV: I will mention the lovingkindnesses of the LORD, and the praises of the LORD, according to all that the LORD hath bestowed on us, and the great goodness toward the house of Israel, which he hath bestowed on them according to his mercies, and according to the multitude of his lovingkindnesses.
WEB: I will make mention of the loving kindnesses of Yahweh, [and] the praises of Yahweh, according to all that Yahweh has bestowed on us, and the great goodness toward the house of Israel, which he has bestowed on them according to his mercies, and according to the multitude of his loving kindnesses.