And it came to pass about an eight days after these sayings, he took Peter and John and James, and went up into a mountain to pray.…
1. One use of this scene was to give to the favoured disciples a clearer idea of the nature of Christ's kingdom.
2. Another use of this scene was to disclose more than had yet been seen of Christ's personal majesty and true glory.
3. We may note a third use of the Transfiguration in the confirmation it afforded to the harmony of Christ's teaching with that of Moses and the prophets.
4. The Transfiguration scene was of use in helping to show the place, in heavenly as well as earthly interest, of the death of Christ.
5. A fifth and very important use of the Transfiguration was in the glimpse it afforded of the heavenly world.
6. The one other use of this wonderful scene to be noticed, is the lesson of patience it teaches, with respect to our earthly temptations, conflicts, and work.
(H. M. Grout, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it came to pass about an eight days after these sayings, he took Peter and John and James, and went up into a mountain to pray.