And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead…
I. HE IS THE FIRST.
1. He is pre-eminent in age (ver. 15). "Before Abraham was I am."
2. In the work of redemption, "firstborn from the dead."
II. HE IS THE MIGHTIEST.
1. As Creator (ver. 16).
2. As Preserver (ver. 17).
3. As Destroyer. We cannot destroy the tiniest piece of matter. He can desolate a world.
III. HE IS THE RICHEST. He owns —
1. All the treasures of creation (ver. 10).
2. All the treasures of wisdom and knowledge (Colossians 2:3).
3. All the treasures of grace (ver. 19).
IV. HE IS THE HIGHEST.
1. He now occupies the throne of mercy.
2. He will leave this for the throne of judgment.
3. He will finally sit on the throne of glory and reign for ever and ever.
V. HE IS THE LOVLIEST. "The altogether lovely."
1. As the brightness of His Father's glory.
2. As the fairest of the children of men.
VI. HE IS THE LAST as He is the First. He only hath immortality; ours is derived from Him.
(H. G. Guinness.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.