For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
I. CHRISTIAN LIFE.
1. Separation for Christ, from the world, self, sin.
2. Dedication to Christ. All are dedicating their life to something — fashion, money, pleasure, science, fame.
3. Use by Christ. Religion is not a man's transformation into something different, but his acceptance by Christ for the accomplishment of his purpose.
4. Likeness to Christ, in love and knowledge.
5. Concealment in Christ.
II. CHRISTIAN DEATH. "Gain," because heaven.
1. No more trial and sickness, but eternal health and peace.
2. No more bereavement, but eternal union.
3. No more superstition, but eternal light.
4. No more sorrow over the dissensions of Christ's Church, but eternal harmony.
5. No more spiritual ignorance, but perfect knowledge.
6. No more temptation and sin, but perfect safety and holiness.
7. No more death, but the fadeless life.
(H. G. Guinness.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.