He then having received the sop went immediately out: and it was night.
I. THE DARKNESS OF JUDAS'S CRIME.
1. The night has become intolerable to him now.
2. He was not always a traitor.
3. He may even have been brought into Christ's company that he might be saved.
4. But over all good his evil heart obtains supremacy.
II. THE DARKNESS OF HIS REPENTANCE.
1. His conscience works up with the terror of night upon it, but without the accents of hope.
2. His repentance leads only to suicide — a further crime.
III. THE DARKNESS OF HIS DOOM. "It had been better for that man, if he had never been born."
(J. H. Hargreaves.)
Parallel VersesKJV: He then having received the sop went immediately out: and it was night.