One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life…
"One thing" may well be enough when it includes "the beauty of the Lord." God sends all men choosing-times, and at such periods destinies are sealed. The wise will only ask for more of God.
I. THE BEAUTY OF JEHOVAH. We feel it in contemplating —
1. The harmonious wholeness of the Divine character. All good is there in due proportion and range.
2. The holiness of God, and especially —
3. The love of God.
4. That he is the perfect armour to the human heart, tie meets all the wants of our nature. His beautifulness is essential, transcendent, inexhaustible.
II. ITS CHIEF SHRINE AND PLACE OF UNVEILING. This is the sanctuary. For —
1. Its services are replete with the Divine beauty.
2. God is the glory of the house.
3. Communion with God is the only essential.
III. ITS MASTERY OF THE HEART.
1. It enthralled the psalmist's soul.
2. It powerfully attracted him.
3. It awaited his coming.
4. Endowed him with good.
5. Crowned his being.
(W. B. Haynes.)
Parallel VersesKJV: One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to inquire in his temple.