1 Peter 1:10-12
Of which salvation the prophets have inquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come to you:…
The testimony of the Spirit in the prophets was —
I. TO CHRIST JESUS. While the world sinned and slept, Infinite Love prepared its Saviour.
II. TO THE SUFFERINGS OF CHRIST. The theme of all Spirit-taught ministers.
III. TO THE GLORY THAT SHOULD FOLLOW (R.V., glories). Christ's glories are —
1. The well-earned reward of His griefs.
2. The majestic and fitting con summation of His mediatorial course; incomparable in its humiliation; peerless in its purity; and merging into the splendour of the final glory.
3. They mark the full approbation and delight in Him of the Eternal Father, sealing redemption with sublime approval.
4. They are the consolation of God, angels, and men. We never could have forgiven the Cross if the crown had not followed.
5. The Illuminated Gateway of the saints' eternity. "With Me where I am, that they may behold My glory."
6. A blessed counterpart to His sorrows. Sufferings balanced with glories. For "sin" and "curse," mediatorial holiness upon essential holiness.
7. They "followed" and forever follow. When Calvary shall be seen far back like a distant ruddy star, the glory shall still spread around and onward, a measure less sea of brightness.
(W. B. Haynes.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Of which salvation the prophets have inquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: