And a certain scribe came, and said to him, Master, I will follow you wherever you go.…
I. THE STRIKING FACT.
II. REASONS FOR THIS.
1. As the Son of Man He was the federal representative of our race, in certain important respects. — He showed:
(1) That man has forfeited all right to shelter upon earth.
(2) That we should seek shelter elsewhere, and not look for our portion on earth.
2. In the work of our redemption it was needful for Jesus to stoop thus low.
(1) It was part of the penalty lie bore.
(2) He went down to the lowest of men.
(3) It was to illustrate the unearthliness of His religion.
III. Some additional reflections:
1. Christian, adore the humiliation and condescension of your loving Lord.
2. Be willing if need be to suffer shame and poverty with Him.
3. If more happily circumstanced be amazed and overwhelmed with gratitude at your superior lot.
4. Yet set not your affections on earthly possessions.
5. Nor despise poorer brethren.
6. If offering to follow Christ, count the cost.
7. In another sphere, how this saying is reversed.
(T. G. Horton.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And a certain scribe came, and said unto him, Master, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.