When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked bears rule, the people mourn.
I. SOME OF THE CHIEF ADVANTAGES THAT PEOPLE ENJOY UNDER A RIGHTEOUS GOVERNMENT.
1. The laws are duly executed. This keeps all the springs of the body politic in their right tone, and gives life and vigour to their motion.
2. True merit finds protection and encouragement under it. This enlivens people's spirits and makes them study to be serviceable upon a right principle.
3. Such a government appears abroad with weight and authority. Righteousness exalteth a nation and spreads its fame and reputation in countries far remote.
4. Such a government is attended with the blessing of God.
II. HOW OUGHT PEOPLE TO EXPRESS THEIR JOY WHEN THE RIGHTEOUS ARE IN AUTHORITY?
1. By a ready and cheerful obedience to authority.
2. By grateful acknowledgments to God for so great a blessing.
3. The people should express their joy by their gratitude to such rulers.
(Bp. John Hough.)
Parallel VersesKJV: When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.