Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.
I. SILVER AND GOLD CAN DO MANY THINGS. To speak of them as of no value would be folly. Money —
1. Can save our minds from anxiety, supply our wants, educate our children, fill our life with comfort. To speak of such blessings as trivial were both foolish and unthankful.
2. As an instrument of commerce is an essential element in the activity and interest of life. Without it our markets would sink back into the system of barter, and we should be in a ruder condition than those who lived centuries ago.
3. Can he used to relieve distress, to cheer the desolate, to help the struggling.
4. Can be employed in the direct furtherance of religious ends.
5. Gives influence which can be used in the promotion of its highest purposes, and when consecrated by the Christian life of its possessor becomes one of the noblest offerings for the honour of God and the blessing of the world.
II. THERE ARE SOME THINGS WHICH SILVER AND COLD CANNOT DO.
1. You may buy a man's work, but you cannot buy his affection. By paying him his wages you do not on that account secure his respect; while by indiscriminate almsgiving it is not certain that you will earn or deserve any real gratitude.
2. The possession of wealth does not improve, but sometimes spoils a man's character. It seldom makes him more generous. But those who are very poor may be rich in better things — in the respect and gratitude of others, the sweet temper, the generous heart. How rich the poor are sometimes, in She kindness of disposition which gives happiness to themselves and those around them!
3. Money cannot purchase health, whether for ourselves or those whom we love. David's treasury was well filled when Nathan told him his child must die. Hezekiah had proud thoughts of wealth when Isaiah commanded him to "set his house in order."
4. Money cannot purchase grace. Simon Magus thought it could; but Peter said, "Thy money perish with thee."
Parallel VersesKJV: Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.