How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good…
There is in this Scripture furnished for life a test, an enterprise, a habit.
I. A TEST. Christ went about doing good. By precisely this question, whether your life is beneficent, are you to test your life.
1. Test your speech by it. Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying.
2. Test your amusements by it. Do they do you good in the way of recreating you for better toil; do they exert no harmful influence upon others?
3. Test your business by it. Is the general outcome of your business beneficent; and do you carry it on in beneficent fashion?
4. Test your use of time by this question. Are you putting your time to high and holy uses?
5. Test your position and culture thus: Are you the readier to serve the higher you get up?
II. There is here suggested an ENTERPRISE for life. Christ went about doing good. He personally did it — did not content Himself with doing good by proxy. Christ went after the chance of doing good; did not simply wait for the chance to come to Him.
III. There is suggested also here a HABIT for life. Christ was not intermittent in this matter. It was the habit of His life to go about doing good. Oh for Christians of such pithy pluck that they will habitually keep hold of duty!
(W. Hoyt, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.