Say not you, There are yet four months, and then comes harvest? behold, I say to you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields…
A double reward is promised the garnerer of souls. It is a reward which flows back to the garnerers, and it is a reward which flows out to the souls garnered.
1. He that reapeth receiveth wages; something comes to him.
(1) He has the wage of being linked into the highest fellowship.
(2) He makes the best possible investment of his toil.
(3) He has the wage of the supremest joy.
(4) He has the wage of richer reward in heaven.
2. The garnerer of souls has wage also toward others; He gathereth fruit until life eternal.
3. Consider the place where the reaper is to reap. "Lift up your eyes and look" — you need not travel far to find a place for reaping your own local church, your own special Sunday-schools, your own neighbourhood — put in at once your sickle there.
(W. Hoyt, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.