Moreover the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah the second time, while he was yet shut up in the court of the prison, saying,…
I. A TRUE CHILD OF GOD AND AN HONOURED PROPHET IN DISGRACE AND AFFLICTION (ver. 1). Let not the child of God think that his sorrows are always because of his Sins.
II. THOUGH DESPISED OF MAN, THE PROPHET WAS HONOURED OF GOD (vers. 1, 2).
1. To receive communications from the Divine mind is the highest honour.
2. He whom God honours and owns as His child need not fear what man can do.
III. DIVINE CONSOLATION TO AN AFFLICTED SERVANT (ver. 3).
1. The most precious of all privileges, that of prayer: "Call unto Me."
2. The most marvellous of all assurances: "And I will answer thee."
3. The most encouraging of all promises: "I will . . . show thee great and mighty things."
IV. THE ADVERSITY AND PROSPERITY OF NATIONS ARE UNDER THE CONTROL OF GOD (vers. 4-7).
1. It is impossible properly to construe the history of a nation without reference to the moral government of God.
2. National prosperity or adversity has always been in the line of national virtue or vice.
V. THE ESSENTIAL CONDITIONS OF NATIONAL AS WELL AS INDIVIDUAL HEALING (vers. 8, 9).
1. It is essential that God come to do the work. "I will cleanse," &c.
2. It is essential that God work upon our moral natures. "I will cleanse them from all their iniquity."
3. It is essential that God work upon our moral natures by the assurance of the forgiveness of sin. "I will pardon all," &c.
4. This moral and spiritual cleansing and pardon are essential for the appreciation of the Divine goodness: "And they shall fear," &c.
5. This spiritual healing shall manifest forth the glory of God: "It shall be to Me a name," &c.
(D. C. Hughes, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Moreover the word of the LORD came unto Jeremiah the second time, while he was yet shut up in the court of the prison, saying,