And the same day, when the even was come, he said to them, Let us pass over to the other side.…
I. The first aspect of Christ's life presented to us in this wonderful passage of Scripture is His WEARINESS.
1. It arose from incessant labour.
2. It arose from laborious work.
II. The second aspect of Christ's life brought before us is HIS REST. We regard this sleeping of Christ —
1. As an evidence of His humanity.
2. As an evidence of His trustfulness. He cast Himself upon His Father's care, and was not afraid of Galilee's stormy lake.
3. As an evidence of His goodness. He slept like one who had a good conscience.
III. But all too soon was THE BEST OF CHRIST DISTURBED. "And they awoke Him." How often was Christ's repose disturbed! Three things led to the disturbance of Christ's rest:
1. A sudden and violent storm.
2. The danger of the disciples.
3. The fears of the disciples.
IV. Then followed A GLORIOUS MANIFESTATION OF THE POWER OF CHRIST.
1. It was manifested in His authority over nature.
2. It was manifested in His rebuke of the disciples.
3. It was manifested in His evident superiority of character.What manner of man is this? He is the God-Man, who stands equal with God on the high level of Deity, and equal with man on the low level of humanity. "He that hath seen Me, hath seen the Father."
Parallel VersesKJV: And the same day, when the even was come, he saith unto them, Let us pass over unto the other side.