Why does this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?…
I. Power to FORGIVE sin.
1. This Christ plainly assumes.
2. This power, without a Mosaic sacrifice, implies that Jesus was already a lamb slain — in the purpose of God.
II. Power to HEAL DISEASE.
1. This is a legitimate work of Jesus as Saviour, inasmuch as He undertook to bear our infirmities as well as our sins.
2. The resurrection will be the consummation of this power.
III. Power to SILENCE CAVILLERS.
1. These cavillers were conquered.
2. When Jesus sits on His throne of judgment all cavillers will be put to shame.
(D. C. Hughes, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?