And the children of Israel were fruitful, and increased abundantly, and multiplied, and waxed exceeding mighty…
1. God's blessing on His Church is the cause that worldly rulers consult against it.
2. Blessings from God and oppositions from worldly powers usually are connected.
3. Changes of kings and governments may bring changes on the Church's state.
4. New and strange rulers are set up, when new and strange things are to be in the Church.
5. God suffers such to rise up, and orders them to His praise.
6. All God's goodness by His instruments to the world are apt to be committed to oblivion and ignorance.
7. Ignorance and oblivion of God's mercies by His Church causeth wicked rulers to persecute them.
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the children of Israel were fruitful, and increased abundantly, and multiplied, and waxed exceeding mighty; and the land was filled with them.