And it shall be when the LORD shall bring you into the land of the Canaanites, as he swore to you and to your fathers…
1. Jehovah is the beginning and end of His own ordinances. He sets them for Himself.
2. The Church must act these duties from God unto God Himself.
3. All that God requires must His people make to pass from them to Him.
4. Firstborn males of beasts God required in the law for special use to Himself (ver. 12).
5. Clean and unclean among creatures is a distinction made by God for men, not for Himself.
6. God hath a proprietary in all creatures be they never so unclean.
7. God hath ordered redemption for unclean by putting the clean in their stead.
8. Unclean unredeemed must be destroyed.
9. A price hath God set for man's redemption to gain a Church of the firstborn.
10. The law of the firstborn hath its truth and accomplishment in Christ Jesus, "the Firstborn of every creature" (Colossians 1:15; ver. 13).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it shall be when the LORD shall bring thee into the land of the Canaanites, as he sware unto thee and to thy fathers, and shall give it thee,