2 Timothy 3:5
Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
I. THERE IS SUCH A THING AS A FORM OF GODLINESS.
1. It is natural.
II. A FORM OF GODLINESS MAY EXIST WITHOUT ITS VITAL POWER.
1. This is possible. Church at Laodicea.
2. A lamentable fact.
3. Most alarming consequences.
(1) There will be no searchings of heart.
(2) No pungent sorrow for sin.
(3) No love to truth.
(4) No conformity to the Divine will.
III. THE POSSESSION OF A MERE FORM OF GODLINESS DOES NOT ENTITLE A PERSON TO CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP.
1. The formalist has no sympathy with the sentiments of true Christians.
2. He would detract from their usefulness.
3. He is unfit for any exalted pleasure.
(J. H. Hughes.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.