In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, To your seed have I given this land…
1. The time of saints' sacrifice amidst their troubles may be the season of God's making covenant with them.
2. Not only promise but covenant hath God made to His Church for their consolation.
3. Word and sign, promise and pledge, make up God's covenant.
4. God's promise of good to come is as sure as if done already.
5. Lower mercies God may give as tokens of greater blessings — this land.
6. The Church hath had its place and portion designed in this world, for being here (ver. 18).
7. God's bounds to His Church were large under the law, much more under the gospel. The ends of the earth now (ver. 19).
8. All peoples shall be driven out to make room for the Church of God. Multitudes can be no hindrance of making good God's covenant to them (vers. 20, 21).
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates: