Then Isaac sowed in that land, and received in the same year an hundred times: and the LORD blessed him.
I. ISAAC IN HIS BUSINESS RELATIONS.
1. He was active and enterprising (vers. 12, 13).
2. His industry and enterprise under the blessing of God resulted in immense wealth.
II. ISAAC IN SOCIETY.
1. As tried by society (vers. 14, 16, 19-21).
2. His bearing under these trials.
(1) He bore envy and strife and hatred with perfect patience.
(2) He separated himself from those around him rather than contend with them.
(3) He recognized God's hand in all (ver. 22).
(4) This example of Isaac, both in business and in society, is worthy of all commendation and imitation.
III. ISAAC IN HIS RELIGIOUS LIFE.
1. He was honoured with personal communications from God (ver. 24).
(1) This proves that his conduct was approved by God.
(2) This approval signified God's encouragement to him in view of future trials.
2. Isaac evinced his appreciation of these Divine promises and privileges by a renewed consecration of himself to God (ver. 25).Lessons:
1. Prosperity is as real a test of faith as adversity.
2. The test of prosperity is more severe than that of adversity.
3. Peace has ever been the choice of true believers.
4. Such a choice has ever met with the Divine approval.
5. Let Isaac's example be ours — in business, industrious and enterprizing; in society, peace-loving and yielding; in religion, ever prepared for communion with God, and ever yielding ourselves in consecration to God.
(D. C. Hughes, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Then Isaac sowed in that land, and received in the same year an hundredfold: and the LORD blessed him.