And he lodged there that same night; and took of that which came to his hand a present for Esau his brother;…
1. Prudent disposition of presents must follow the preparation of them.
2. Good servants are fit helps unto good masters for ordering their affairs.
3. Order is as needful as matter unto prudence to pacifiy enraged enemies.
4. Wise masters must give instructions to servants for the prosperity of their own affairs.
5. Lawful instructions from masters must be strictly observed by servants.
6. Humble presentations of saints to lords of the world is comely to procure peace.
7. Frequent and gradual expressions of such goodness and humility is most likely to overcome them.
8. Faces of cruel men are hard to be reconciled unto the faces of the righteous.
9. By foregoing gifts and preventing grace from God, saints may gel a good look from such men.
10. Jacob and Jacob's children are forced so to seek peace in the world.
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he lodged there that same night; and took of that which came to his hand a present for Esau his brother;