And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things said the Amen, the faithful and true witness…
I. THREE ASPECTS OF THE CHARACTER OF CHRIST.
1. "The Amen." This sets forth His immutability.
2. "The faithful and true Witness."(1) Christ is a Witness —
(a) In His personal life and death.
(b) By the Holy Spirit in the inspired Word, in the plan of redemption, and in the organisation of the Church.
(c) In the hearts of individual believers, where He dwells by faith.
(2) Christ, as Witness, in this threefold sense, is faithful and true.
(3) His promised rewards will be faithfully fulfilled, and His threatened penalties will be strictly carried out.
3. "The beginning of the creation of God." The Head, Prince, or Potentate.
II. THE TWOFOLD CHARACTER OF THE LAODICEAN CHURCH.
III. CHRIST'S APPROPRIATE COUNSEL.
1. This counsel is characteristic of our Lord.
(1) Tender and considerate.
(2) Appropriate and definite.
(3) Timely and solemn.
2. This counsel is very suggestive.
(1) "Buy of Me." In one sense grace cannot be bought. It has been bought — not with silver and gold, etc. In another sense, if we are not willing to give up the world and its sinful pleasures for Divine grace, we shall not obtain it.
(2) "Gold tried in the fire." That which enriches the soul for ever, and will endure the test of His judgment.
(3) "White raiment" (Revelation 19:8).
(4) "Eye-salve." The illumination of the Holy Spirit.
IV. THREE PROOFS OF CHRIST'S LOVING INTEREST.
2. Patient, personal appeals to those who have practically rejected Him.
3. His gracious proffer of the highest honour to him who becomes conqueror in His name.
(D. C. Hughes, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;