But the dove found no rest for the sole of her foot, and she returned to him into the ark…
1. God's delay of answer and His saints waiting are fitly coupled.
2. God's gracious ones are of a contented, waiting and hoping frame.
3. Faith will expect from seven to seven, from week to week, to receive answers of peace from God.
4. After waiting, faith will make trial of lawful means again and again. It will add messenger to messenger (ver. 10).
5. Waiting believers shall receive some sweet return by use of means in God's time.
6. He that sends out for God is most likely to have return from Him.
7. Visible tokens of God's wrath ceasing sometimes He is pleased to vouchsafe to His.
8. It concerns God's saints to consider His signal discoveries of grace, to know them, and gather hope and comfort from them.
(G. Hughes, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But the dove found no rest for the sole of her foot, and she returned unto him into the ark, for the waters were on the face of the whole earth: then he put forth his hand, and took her, and pulled her in unto him into the ark.
WEB: but the dove found no place to rest her foot, and she returned to him into the ship; for the waters were on the surface of the whole earth. He put forth his hand, and took her, and brought her to him into the ship.